Храм Миколи Притиски Офіційний веб-сайт
Orthodox Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker(St. Nicholas Prytysk), located in Podil, is justly considered the precious pearl of the architectural ensemble of Kyiv city, a model of XVII century temple art.
The fate of the church is truly dramatic: it sustained the generosity of patrons as well as vandalism of their descendants.
The most ancient mentions of the church in sources date back to 1612. Initially, St. Nicholas temple was wooden. At the turn of XVII – XVIII centuries (according to other sources – in the first half of XVII century, namely in 1631) a parishioner, Kyiv citizen Petro, nicknamed Zaliznyi Grish (word for word – "Iron pence”) in the place of wooden church at his own expense put brick temple with a central altar, consecrated in honor of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker and two side altars: on one side – Unmercenary Saints Cosmas and Damian, on the other – the Intercession of the Theotokos (Protection of Our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary). The latter was in time renamed to the side altar after Saint Dimitry of Rostov, since father of the Saint – sotnik (centurion) Sava Tuptalo – was a parishioner of this church and made significant contributions in its favor.
A distinct style of traditional Ukrainian architecture was brightly expressed in the plan and three-dimensional solution of the reconstructed temple: khreschatyi single-domed temple, embodied in stone. Floor and ceiling of the temple still remained wooden. Soon St. Nicholas temple was greatly damaged as a result of a fire in Podil. It stood damaged up to the mid XVIIІ century, and only in 1752 a complete overhaul was made at parishioners’ expense. In 1811 the church of St. Nicholas suffered another tragedy: one more fire in Podil damaged the temple greatly. But this time the temple rose from the ashes much more quickly – till 1820 it was fully restored and it was put in even greater beauty, enriched inside by fine paintings and masonry iconostasis.
Next desolation happened to the church after a century, and this time it suffered the bitter cup of communist havoc not only with neighboring churches of Podil, but with churches all over Ukraine. After many years of the church desolation the ruling Soviet authorities decided to use the sanctuary for commercial purposes, and since 1975 it began to serve as a storehouse of "Ukrknygtorg" (Ukrainian books trading organization). Since 1981 rebuilding of the temple to the premises of the theater of poetry began, and only the foundation damage by groundwater prevented another havoc.
Years of state atheism passed away, in the early 90’s divine services began to be officiated again in St. Nicholas church. The dedication of the church by Patriarch of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine Filaret was held on May 17, 2001. Thus, St. Nicholas temple revived, together with the spiritual revival of the people, and the church appeared in bright, updated look. Large-scale reconstruction began under the current senior priest of the church mitered archpriest Oleg Malanyak. The restoration of wall paintings was executed by a group of Ukrainian art restorers, headed by famous modern artist M.A. Storozhenko.
Nowadays the sacraments are administered in the church and every Christian, crossing the threshold of the shrine, falls into the special world of spiritual harmony.
04071, Kyiv, Horyva Str., 5-A